My normal blog
contains lots of stuff about the weather, beer, women, injuries and
illness, but also has stuff about what I get up to with computers.Some
of the computer stuff may be of interest to others, but gets lost in
all the other stuff.
Also, I have just exchanged a few emails with some useful info in them.
So I thought it was time to gather all this stuff together in one place.
here it is in mostly very plain text. Most of the stuff is about Linux,
but it could also include Windows, Mac and even Palm. Some of it will
just be cut-n-pastes from emails I have sent (with a little editing).
Some will be cut-n-pastes from my main blog, and some will be some
stuff written specifically for these pages.
Bill - 5th April 2009Very Useful links :http://www.ss64.com/bash/
- Most of the Linux "command line" commands in a simple easy to read format.http://distrowatch.com/
- News on all the latest Linux distributions.http://www.theregister.co.uk/
- A very useful news site to waste hours when you should be working !The actual blogs (most recent at top) :
24th June 2009
- Playing with virtual machines using VirtualBox, and some notes about gzip.4th June 2009
- Some notes about trying Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) on my Acer Aspire 1 netbook.25th April 2009
- Using the OČ E160 mobile broadband dongle with Linux Mint 6 on my laptop12th April 2009
- Recovering video from a corrupt DVD disk recorded on a set top DVD recorder.10th April 2009
- Resizing the partitions on my Acer Travelmate 290 laptop8th April 2009
- Testing Mandrake 9.2 and Linux Mint 4 (Xfce) on the old 700 MHz P III machine.6th April 2009
- Testing out Xandros 3 on my ancient 700 MHz Pentium III machine.5th April 2009
- part 3, the final part of my Linux Mint 6 experiments, and the conclusion reached.5th April 2009
- Part 2 of the Linux Mint experiment that comes to an unfortunate result.5th April 2009
- experiment to install Linux Mint 6 on a 700 MHz Pentium III pc with only 192 MB of shared RAM5th April 2009
- (email) KDE info centre, Xandros, Linux Mint, konqueror and Alt-F2 (follow up to previous entry)5th April 2009
- (email) using the command line to find info about what's in a computer running Xandros 3.04th April 2009
- (email) comments on Xandros, Linux Mint 5, and recomending audacious as an mp3 player.19th March 2009
- (email) problems with disk space when using kmediafactory DVD authoring application.16th February 2009
- (cut-n-paste from main blog) Linux Mint 6 on my Acer Travelmate 290 laptopNote
: due to a lapse of sanity I seemed to have written the wrong month for
the the entries for the 4th and 5th of April. Originally they said
March, but I have now corrected them to April. I think my brain aches !